Monday, August 17, 2009

OPINION: Are Hood Books Real Literature? | NewsOne

This question speaks to the core of who I am, both as a writer and as an African-American. There are a great number of prolific writers in urban circumstances, ie the 'hood. I have discovered and encouraged a couple. However, that doesn't mean I will invest in some of these writers, no matter how popular or if all of my friends are reading him/her. I am very specific when I buy books and 'hood books have never had any appeal. Maybe, it's the characterizations and plot. Maybe, it's that I grew up very differently. Even with my craving fascination with almost everything urban, I can't bring myself to support even those with whom I have something in common.


OPINION: Are Hood Books Real Literature? NewsOne

No comments:

Post a Comment