Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Words and labels

 What makes one a Master of a particular Fine Art? Is it the coursework, the talent, the gift, the craft, or something we've missed. In the Bible, there's the trinity. Father/Mother, Son/daughter, and Holy Spirit/wisdom. Wisdom is silently feminine. It is the magic and the stillness, the caring, the presence in and of ritual. Do you actually master wisdom or do you practice it? Indigenous cultures often work with the world around them. Controlling is far less of a goal. How does wisdom work in buildings and institutions built to control? Choose your words carefully.

To confer a degree is to recognize completion. To become a Master at something defines the work. The specialized research and study. Wisdom whispers in the late night. It wakes us from terrifying dreams. It guides us to write differently, bc we know the institution. We know how it feels in our bodies. Muscle memory is real. The degree reminds us of what we cannot see.

Words are spoken before they reach the page, just like a thought is subconscious before we think it. Wisdom is that journey. The greatest gift is to accept, without comparison, that your steps don't need nobody else's feet. You aren't meant to run another race. It won't be easy. It is yours.

I've spent my life carrying words. From nicknames to birth names, I swell and shrink, depending on what I am called. What feels best is what I call myself. I create titles for myself. I define me, outside of legacy and who knew me when. To live prodigally is to embrace freedom and accountability. It is the comfort to roam while being rooted. My practice is telling healthy stories. Healthy stories embrace the culture, the nuances, the dynamics, the language. They define aches and disease in context. My protocol is wisdometry. I use wisdom to get you to see. I have lots of tools. 

To master may mean to complete. For me, it's the beginning. It confirms I am authorized to do what I've been doing. I need to live in order to access my wisdom. How you living?

No comments:

Post a Comment